If you own a business or a personal brand, social media strengthens it by helping you build solid relationships, provide better customer service, reach more people outside of your network, gain insights, receive quick feedback from your customers, access influencers and gain industry information. But where do you need to spend your time and effort really? There’s a lot of social media channels right now. I’ll help you decide where you want to champion and trickle down to each platform where the attention is currently.
1. Facebook – The largest social media network in the world hands down. It’s best for use in lifestyle, personal and consumer oriented brands. Text and videos are the types of multimedia content best used here. Want to grow your fanpage consistently? Post at least 4-8 times a day, Mondays through Sundays. Videos should be at least 3 minutes if you want it to be monetized.
2. Instagram – What used to be a platform to share filtered photos and creativity has now been a source for social media influencers to share lifestyle and personal branding. Images, videos and IG stories are the types of content you’ll see here. Take advantage of every new feature they have such as IGTV and IG Stories. Post as many as 3 photos/videos a day and at least 5-20 stories a day. Engage on the comments of your followers and make sure to reply to every DM you get.
3. Twitter – Best for everyone across all ages. The type of content here is limited to 280 characters of almost anything you want to talk about. Photos and short 1-3 minute videos work great here. Post at least 8 to 20x here a day. I usually allocated at least 20-30 minutes a night on this platform to retweet trending topics of my interest and just be able to share my mind real quick.
4. LinkedIn – One of my favorites right now. I spend at least an hour a day on this platform because of the business network this creates. It’s meant for professionals and professional services that want to reach out to business owners or businesses alike. The type of content that works best here are updates on business, industry news and long form type of blogs like this that you’re reading. Publish articles 2-4x a month and make sure to engage in the comments section of trending topics or posts of other people, not just yours. I grew from 300 followers to almost 5,500 followers in a year being engaged in this platform and it has paid dividends for my consulting business. Post at least 1-3x a day here your thoughts, something inspirational/motivational and be yourself in your most professional way.
5. YouTube – Ah yes, the king of video content. YT has been here since the mid 2000s and it’s not even close if you compare it with it’s competition. The platform is based on lifestyle, personal vlogs, consumer oriented videos, educational self help videos and niche brands you might be interested in. It’s all about videos here at least 5 to 15 minutes long so you can monetize it through ads or sponsorships. Post at least 2 quality videos a week here and interact with your current followers by replying to their comments.
6. TikTok – The latest craze when it comes to social media platforms. TikTok is vastly growing it’s reach especially with the Gen Z and millennial market. Composed of making 15 second to 1 minute videos of whatever you like to share or talk about from food, fashion, dance steps, singing, phone hacks or daily motivation. Brands are quickly figuring out how TikTok works. Not for you? Do this, consume TikTok “For You” content for the next 2-3 months so you’ll figure out what sells and what doesn’t, before you map out your own content.
Question of the day: What Social Media platform do you spend the most time on?